Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bowl number 13




Yesterday after breakfast I worked on the farm with Otoniel. We finished pretty early so I went down to the ecolodge before lunch to send e-mails and stuff. While I was down there Miguel, one of the guys that I had played soccer with the day before, asked me if I was going to play again today. I told him I wanted to but I was going to “un te de canasta” (a baby shower) with Alicia and Lilian later. A little later Alex walked by and asked if I was going to play and I told him I didn’t think I could. Then Geovanny came and said hello and asked if I was going to play and I told him about the “te.” He told me I would have time anyway so I ended up playing with them. It was just as fun as the first time and just as exhausting. At one point I asked what time it was and they told me it was 12:45. I ran off the field right up to the trail to go home. I was already panting and sore from soccer, then I walked (very very slowly) straight up a small mountain. I arrived home red and sweaty but I showered and gulped down some water with plenty of time before we left for baby shower. It was held in the Gymnasium of the school right down the street so it didn’t take long to get there. It was pretty much all women and a ton of little kids. They played all sorts of games and always had one round for kids and another for adults. I got to meet a few more neighbors and stuff and I got to say hello to some of the people I knew from last year. It was a pretty weird feeling to be somewhere where I should have felt so out of place, In the middle of the mountains of Costa Rica in a tin-roofed school gym at some ones baby shower where no one speaks English, but I had people coming up and greeting me and asking how I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment